Urban Jungle is here to change the insurance industry for good.
We’re one of the fastest-growing businesses in the UK, and we’re taking on one of the biggest and most widely used categories in the world. Urban Jungle puts the customer at the heart of everything it does, uses the latest technology to make insurance simple, fair and affordable, and helps us give our customers much more confidence in their financial futures.
All of this has meant we’ve already been able to help more than 200,000 customers get better insurance and become one of the top-rated home insurance providers in the UK, with 4.6 on Trustpilot from over 9,000 reviews. We’ve raised over £30m in funding to date to help us with our mission.
We also have a huge focus on people and our planet. We’ve recently placed 1st in Tempo's Super Start Ups 2024, and won the “Best Employer Award” in the UK FinTech Awards. We’re also proud to be a certified B-Corp, and a Carbon Neutral company.
And the best bit? This is just the beginning.
About The Role
We’re on the hunt for an ambitious accountant to join our growing Finance team at Urban Jungle!
As our Financial Accountant at Urban Jungle, you’ll play a key role in the success of our business as you take day-to-day responsibility for finance.
We’ll also give you the opportunity to run projects to make our business better, and gain experience of working with different teams from across our business.
As a startup, we’ll also expect you to roll your sleeves up, and get involved anywhere where the business needs your help.
You’ll work closely with our Head of Finance, Lucy Marshall, as well as getting lots of exposure to our senior team, who have previously led some of the world’s fastest growing businesses, as part of playing a pivotal role in achieving our company’s growth plans.
We’ll also support you in continuing your professional development, for example through professional qualifications.
Here’s what you’ll get up to:
- We hope to give you the chance to learn all of the key aspects of a finance function at a growing business.
- You’ll take the day to day lead in our finance function, including
- Owning our month end accounting process, working across P&L, Balance Sheet and Cash
- Interacting with our key suppliers on billing and payments
- Making sure our bills get paid on time
- You’ll be a key point of contact with the UJ team for things like payroll and expenses.
- You’ll help us look after our investors, including preparing Board presentations and reports.
- We’ll expect you to get stuck into a wider range of tasks within the Finance function including FCA reporting, VAT returns and managing third party relationships.
You've read this far! Here's what we need from you:
- We’re looking for someone with 3+ years of experience in finance, either at another company or accounting firm
- You like taking on new challenges, and learning on the job
- A knack for numbers and working out what they mean for the business
- You have strong time management and prioritisation skills
- Above all, you’ll be a highly ambitious self-starter with the drive to push both the business and yourself to the next level!
These requirements are a guide as to what we’re looking for, but if you don’t have all of the skills listed above, that’s okay! Please don’t let that hold you back from applying if the role excites you.
About Our Offer
We’re taking an office-centric approach to work (with lots of flexibility built-in) and the team is based in Oval, London.
In addition to our positive, open working environment, you can expect the following benefits of working at Urban Jungle:
- A starting salary of £48,000 - £65,000* depending on experience.
- A share of our successes. Every Urban Jungler receives share options that can increase alongside performance and growth.
- An impact from day one. Our business is scaling rapidly. You'll work on ambitious projects, and your contribution will significantly impact the success of Urban Jungle now and in the future.
- Dedicated development. Continuous learning and growth are part of our DNA. Our aim is to help you develop faster than any other business could. You’ll have a dedicated senior mentor, training on whatever you need to do your job well, and a dedicated personal development budget.
- Well-being support. We’re committed to supporting both physical and mental well-being through a variety of initiatives designed to help you feel your best.
- A commitment to our values. Our values inform our policies, processes, decisions, and actions. They are core to how we operate as a business.
- 25 days paid leave, plus public holidays.
- All. The. Fun. We regularly organise awesome socials and have some vibrant team communities like book club, foodies, and sports.
*If our advertised salary doesn’t suit your current expectations, just let us know.
About Our Commitment
Urban Jungle is an equal opportunity employer and fairness and respect are at the heart of who we are and how we work. We do not discriminate based on race, age, ethnicity, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or disability. We know that in order to build a truly successful business, we need a team of diverse individuals who can offer a variety of skills, experiences and perspectives.