Head of Data
About the Role
We are looking for a strong technical leader, with great academic credentials, for a great opportunity to build out the data function at a fast paced and high growth tech scaleup.
It's a new role for us - working directly for the CTO, and is absolutely key to our plans to take our data platform to the next level - the things you help us build will have a big impact on how we use data to make insurance better for millions of people.
It’s also a hands on role, you’ll be expected to help design and build the systems for our platform, write operational code as well as new data models - all the while working on long term plans to use our data advantage to really drive key business metrics.
You will be responsible for:
- Planning and designing how we structure/warehouse the ever growing datasets.
- Designing and building services and platforms to help us do this efficiently.
- Prototyping approaches to signal finding and model building across pricing, risk, retention, fraud...
- Seeing those prototypes through to production, and tuning them to drive real change to the business.
- Building a new Data team around you, as we grow and hire more engineers and data scientists.
What We’re Looking For From You:
- Post-Graduate level (or equivalent) experience in data science and/or machine learning. Exact course title doesn’t matter so much as what you were actually doing.
- Proven ability to develop and put in production novel data models that deliver value to a business.
- Experience of long term platform planning and development for large scale data projects.
- Hands on Python coding ability, and experience with a variety of its common libraries for Data Science (Pandas, SkLearn, Keras, Torch, etc..). Experience building data platforms on AWS is an advantage.
We are looking for a smart and well-rounded candidate who is not afraid to work hard, get their hands dirty in the short term and build a world-class data team in the long term.
Urban Jungle is an inclusive employer and value diversity at our company. So long as you’ve got the skills for the job, even if you don’t fit these requirements exactly, we’d love to hear from you!
What you can expect:
- A competitive salary depending on experience
- A material equity stake
- A company pension
- 25 days of paid leave, plus public holidays
- Full training on whatever you need to do your job well
- Clear objectives, which are regularly updated, with regular formal feedback
- Whatever kit you need to be effective
- Lots of social fun and events
- A commitment from the co-founders to spend significant time on your coaching and development.
- An open environment where you will be challenged
Urban Jungle is an exciting fintech scaleup that is making waves in a high growth consumer insurance space. Although we work in financial services, we are at heart a tech company, focused on building a customer-first brand that people can trust.
Our mission is to help millions of young people plan for their financial future - starting with providing a safety net for their home lives. We’re designing and building insurance products for a new generation of customers, challenging the status quo and changing the way things are done in insurance. We base all of our decisions and strategy around our 4 core values:
- Customer first
- Transparency matters
- Keep getting better
- Be responsible
It’s an exciting time to join us as we’re growing fast! In the last year we hit 30,000 customers and grew the team by 100% - and we have big plans for growth in 2021! This is a great opportunity to join a fast growing, data driven company and have a hand in shaping our futures.
Logistics & Application:
The position will start remotely but you must be able to work at our offices in Oval, South London in the medium term. The hiring process involves an initial phone conversation with the CTO, followed by a practical task and then interviews with the senior team.
Sound exciting? Send your CV with a covering note to email@example.com.