Junior UX/UI Designer
Urban Jungle is here to change the insurance industry for good.
We’re one of the fastest-growing businesses in the UK, and we’re taking on one of the biggest and most outdated industries in the world. Urban Jungle puts the customer at the heart of everything it does, uses the latest technology to make insurance simple, fair and affordable, and helps us give our customers much more confidence in their financial futures.
All of this has meant we’ve already been able to help over 125,000 customers get better insurance and become one of the top-rated home insurance providers in the UK, with 4.7 on Trustpilot from over 6,000 reviews. We’ve raised over £30m in funding to date to help us with our mission.
We also have a huge focus on people and our planet. We placed 1st in the TechRound100 2021, 12th in the Startups100 2021 and we won the “Best Employer Award” in the UK FinTech Awards 2021. More recently in 2022, we placed 5th in Tempo's Super Start Ups Awards and achieved B Corp certification.
And the best bit? This is just the beginning.
About the Role
We’re looking for a Junior UX/UI Designer who is driven by problem solving and designing great user experiences, but who also has strong convictions on what brilliant visual design looks like. You’ll be joining our product team in a fast paced and high growth tech scaleup environment.
In this role, you will work closely with Product Managers and Engineers to understand customer needs, wireframe and prototype solutions and create fantastic high-fidelity designs. It’s an exciting opportunity to get involved in projects that touch on every part of the company and grow fast as a designer.
Here’s what you’ll get up to:
- Work as part of our collaborative product, design and engineering team in mapping out brilliant design solutions to tough user problems
- Design wireframes, prototypes, complete high-fidelity designs and write detailed specs
- Conduct user research to understand our customers needs better and help us to improve our customer experience
- Create reusable assets like UI kits, icons, illustrations and infographics
- Help us add visual delight to our product that users will love
- Muck in to help out other teams with their design needs
You've read this far! We’re looking for someone who:
- Either has a qualification in user-centric design or experience in a design-focused role
- Has a strong portfolio with examples of customer-facing products
- Is comfortable working with modern web design tools
- Has an entrepreneurial mindset - you want to be working on exciting, big problems
- Is a self-starter who is comfortable working in a continually changing environment and dealing with ambiguity
- Is excited to pitch in with broader team and business responsibilities
Bonus points if you:
- Have experience designing a tech product
- Have dabbled with HTML / CSS or any other programming language
- Have experience in non-product design categories; publishing, illustration, animation, print, photography, etc
These requirements are a guide as to what we’re looking for, but if you don’t have all of the skills listed above, that’s okay! Please don’t let that hold you back from applying if the role excites you.
About Our Offer
We’re taking an office-centric approach to work (with lots of flexibility built-in) and the team is based in Oval, London.
In addition to our positive, open working environment, you can expect the following benefits of working at Urban Jungle:
- A starting salary of £30,000 - £32,000 depending on experience.
- A share of our successes. Every Urban Jungler receives share options that can increase alongside performance and growth.
- An impact from day one. Our business is scaling rapidly. You'll work on ambitious projects, and your contribution will significantly impact the success of Urban Jungle now and in the future.
- Dedicated development. Continuous learning and growth are part of our DNA. Our aim is to help you develop faster than any other business could. You’ll have a dedicated senior mentor, training on whatever you need to do your job well, and a dedicated personal development budget.
- Well-being support. We’re committed to supporting both physical and mental well-being through a variety of initiatives designed to help you feel your best.
- A commitment to our values. Our values inform our policies, processes, decisions, and actions. They are core to how we operate as a business.
- 25 days paid leave, plus public holidays.
- All. The. Fun. We regularly organise awesome socials and have some vibrant team communities like book club, foodies, and sports.
About Our Commitment
Urban Jungle is an equal opportunity employer and fairness and respect are at the heart of who we are and how we work. We do not discriminate based on race, age, ethnicity, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or disability. We know that in order to build a truly successful business, we need a team of diverse individuals who can offer a variety of skills, experiences and perspectives.