Senior UX/UI Designer
Urban Jungle is here to change the insurance industry for good.
We’re one of the fastest-growing businesses in the UK, and we’re taking on one of the biggest and most outdated industries in the world. Urban Jungle puts the customer at the heart of everything it does, uses the latest technology to make insurance simple, fair and affordable, and helps us give our customers much more confidence in their financial futures.
All of this has meant we’ve already been able to help over 125,000 customers get better insurance and become one of the top-rated home insurance providers in the UK, with 4.8 on Trustpilot from over 6,000 reviews. We’ve raised over £30m in funding to date to help us with our mission.
We also have a huge focus on people and our planet. We placed 1st in the TechRound100 2021, 12th in the Startups100 2021 and we won the “Best Employer Award” in the UK FinTech Awards 2021. More recently in 2022, we placed 5th in Tempo's Super Start Ups Awards and achieved B Corp certification.
And the best bit? This is just the beginning.
What’s the role?
Designers at Urban Jungle work closely with product managers and engineers to deeply understand customer needs, wireframe and prototype solutions and create fantastic high-fidelity designs. You’ll be joining our product and design team in a fast paced and high growth tech scale-up environment.
Day to day, you’ll balance producing fantastic design with overseeing the overall output of our small but growing design team. You’ll work with teams across the business, conducting research that gets us closer to what users want from our product and designing for people with different levels of financial knowledge, turning complex interactions into simple experiences.
It’s an exciting opportunity to get involved in projects that touch on every part of the company and grow fast as a designer.
You’ll report to our Product Director, Elliot.
Who should apply?
We are looking for a candidate who has experience designing world-class products that haven’t just achieved business results, but created loads of value for customers. You are driven by problem solving and designing great user experiences, but you also have strong convictions on what brilliant visual design looks like.
You’re either already managing and coaching other designers, or have transferable experience that will make you great at it. You’ll be happy to get your hands dirty on all the wild and wonderful types of design depending on what the business needs, even if your long term focus is on product design.
You’ll need to be excited by our mission to change the way things are done in insurance, and to help millions of people plan for their financial future - starting with providing a safety net for their lives.
Bonus points if you have previous experience designing a tech product, have dabbled with HTML / CSS or any other programming language, or have experience in non-product design categories like publishing, illustration, animation, print or photography.
What’s the process?
We have designed a process that aims to get the right candidate working here as quickly as possible. If things are moving too slow for you, tell us!
The process starts with an initial phone chat followed by a video interview with our Product Director. Then we’ll ask you to complete a take-home task which is timeboxed to 2.5 hours which you’ll present at an in-person interview, alongside meeting some members of the wider team.
Please send examples of your previous work with your application (this can be a portfolio, website, or any other format that gives us an understanding of your work).
About Our Offer
We’re taking an office-centric approach to work (with lots of flexibility built-in) and the team is based in Oval, London.
In addition to our positive, open working environment, you can expect the following benefits of working at Urban Jungle:
- A starting salary of £50,000 - £60,000 depending on experience.
- A share of our successes. Every Urban Jungler receives share options that can increase alongside performance and growth.
- An impact from day one. Our business is scaling rapidly. You'll work on ambitious projects, and your contribution will significantly impact the success of Urban Jungle now and in the future.
- Dedicated development. Continuous learning and growth are part of our DNA. Our aim is to help you develop faster than any other business could. You’ll have a dedicated senior mentor, training on whatever you need to do your job well, and a dedicated personal development budget.
- Well-being support. We’re committed to supporting both physical and mental well-being through a variety of initiatives designed to help you feel your best.
- A commitment to our values. Our values inform our policies, processes, decisions, and actions. They are core to how we operate as a business.
- 25 days paid leave, plus public holidays.
- All. The. Fun. We regularly organise awesome socials and have some vibrant team communities like book club, foodies, and sports.
About Our Commitment
Urban Jungle is an equal opportunity employer and fairness and respect are at the heart of who we are and how we work. We do not discriminate based on race, age, ethnicity, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or disability. We know that in order to build a truly successful business, we need a team of diverse individuals who can offer a variety of skills, experiences and perspectives.