Senior Finance Associate
Urban Jungle is here to change the insurance industry for good.
We’re one of the fastest-growing businesses in the UK, and we’re taking on one of the biggest and most outdated industries in the world. To keep doing that we need some amazing people to help us build the future of insurance, and we’d love you to join us on our journey.
Urban Jungle was born out of frustration with how badly insurance companies were at using technology, and how little they understood what customers really needed. The result was insurance that was too expensive, too inflexible and in many cases not fair to customers. Urban Jungle puts the customer at the heart of everything it does, uses the latest technology to make insurance simple, fair and affordable, and helps us give our customers much more confidence in their financial futures.
All of this has meant we’ve already been able to help over 100,000 customers get better insurance and become one of the top-rated home insurance providers in the UK, with 4.8 on Trustpilot from over 5,000 reviews. We’re currently focused on Home insurance, but we’re adding new products all of the time, and we’ve raised over £30m in funding to date to help us with our mission.
We also have a huge focus on people. We placed 1st in the TechRound100 2021, 12th in the Startups100 2021 and we won the “Best Employer Award” in the UK FinTech Awards 2021.
And the best bit? This is just the beginning.
About The Role
We’re on the hunt for a part or fully qualified accountant to join our growing Finance team at Urban Jungle!
As Senior Finance Associate at Urban Jungle, you’ll play a key role in the success of our Finance function as you own day-to-day operational processes and lead our monthly management accounting process.
Alongside this, you’ll have the opportunity to get involved in process automation and cross-functional project work.
Reporting to our Finance Manager, Lucy Marshall, you’ll be part of an agile Finance team and will play a pivotal role in achieving our company’s growth plans.
Here’s what you’ll get up to:
- Owning our end-to-end month end reporting process, including producing numbers for board MI, reconciliation, journal postings, accruals and analysis.
- Completing a variety of balance sheet reconciliations.
- Preparing payment schedules and processing payment runs.
- Reviewing and processing supplier invoices and employee expense claims.
- Collaborating with our People Manager and external provider to complete our monthly payroll process.
- Getting stuck into a wider range of tasks within the Finance function including FCA reporting, VAT returns and managing third-party relationships.
- Representing the Finance team in assisting with ad-hoc queries from other departments.
- Supporting the Finance team with any other ad-hoc tasks and projects required.
You've read this far! Here's what we need from you:
- You'll have a degree under your belt with some previous experience in a Finance function or Accounting firm.
- A part or fully-qualified accountant (ACA/ACCA or equivalent).
- A knack for numbers and analysis with strong working knowledge of Excel. Bonus points if you’ve dabbled with SQL!
- Strong time management and prioritisation skills to effectively manage multiple moving parts of various Finance processes and projects.
- A natural problem-solver with a test and learn mentality.
- A level of attention to detail that will put us all to shame! You'll understand that your accuracy is critical to the success of the Finance function and the business itself.
- Innovative and full of ideas to streamline and optimise processes.
- Above all, you’ll be a highly ambitious self-starter with the drive to push both the business and yourself to the next level!
These requirements are a guide as to what we’re looking for, but if you don’t have all of the skills listed above, that’s okay! Please don’t let that hold you back from applying if the role excites you.
About Our Offer
We’re taking an office-centric approach to work (with lots of flexibility built-in) and the team is based in Oval, London.
In addition to our positive, open working environment, you can expect the following benefits of working at Urban Jungle:
- A starting salary of £35,000 - £55,000 depending on experience.
- A share of our successes. Every Urban Jungler receives share options that can increase alongside performance and growth.
- An impact from day one. Our business is scaling rapidly. You'll work on ambitious projects, and your contribution will significantly impact the success of Urban Jungle now and in the future.
- Dedicated development. Continuous learning and growth are part of our DNA. Our aim is to help you develop faster than any other business could. You’ll have a dedicated senior mentor, training on whatever you need to do your job well, and a dedicated personal development budget.
- Well-being support. We’re committed to supporting both physical and mental well-being through a variety of initiatives designed to help you feel your best.
- A commitment to our values. Our values inform our policies, processes, decisions, and actions. They are core to how we operate as a business.
- 25 days paid leave, plus public holidays.
- All. The. Fun. We regularly organise awesome socials and have some vibrant team communities like book club, foodies, and sports.
About Our Commitment
Urban Jungle is an equal opportunity employer and fairness and respect are at the heart of who we are and how we work. We do not discriminate based on race, age, ethnicity, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or disability. We know that in order to build a truly successful business, we need a team of diverse individuals who can offer a variety of skills, experiences and perspectives.