Software Engineering Intern (Summer 2022)
We’re Urban Jungle and we’re here to change the insurance industry for good.
Urban Jungle was founded in 2016 after we experienced first-hand just how rigid and outdated the insurance industry is. We saw no embrace of technology and no empathy for real-world situations - like how people are renting for longer, and with more flatmates. We knew people shouldn’t have to settle for less.
We brought our own-label insurance products to market in 2019 and have since sold over 80,000 policies. Putting the customer at the heart of what we do and leveraging the use of technology, we’ve built insurance products that are fair, simple and created for the times we live in.
We continue to diversify our product range to meet the needs of a new generation of people. Going from strength to strength, we placed 1st in the TechRound100 2021, 12th in the Startups100 2021 and we won the “Best Employer Award” in the UK FinTech Awards 2021. We’ve raised $22M to date and have amassed over 4,000 5-star TrustPilot reviews.
About the Role
We’re looking for an enthusiastic Software Engineering Intern to join our ever-growing Engineering team!
As a Software Engineering Intern, you’ll spend eight to twelve weeks over the summer supporting some of our highest priority projects, aligned with what is best suited to your skills and interests.
With support from some of our most experienced Engineers, you may work on projects such as:
- Scoping and implementing A/B tests on our website.
- Levelling up our backend systems to be fit for scale.
- Automating internal processes to support the wider team.
You've read this far! Here's what we're looking for from you:
- You’re in your penultimate or final year of your degree and have examples of where you’ve used one or more of the following languages in academic or personal projects:
- Front-End/UX design and prototyping
- Linux, Docker, AWS, SQL
- You get a thrill out of solving problems - big or small!
- A strong communicator with the ability to communicate technical concepts into layman’s terms for a non-technical audience.
- You’re not afraid to challenge the status quo if it means reaching a better outcome for our customers.
- Use your excellent time management abilities to prioritise daily tasks in accordance with overarching company goals.
- Ultimately, you’ll be a highly ambitious self-starter with the drive to push both the business and yourself to the next level!
These requirements are a guide as to what we’re looking for, but if you don’t have all of the skills listed above, that’s okay! Please don’t let that hold you back from applying if the role excites you.
About Our Offer
We’re taking an office-centric approach to work and the team is based in Oval, London. Here’s what you can expect when working at Urban Jungle:
- A salary of £23,000 (pro-rata)
- An impact from day one. Our business is scaling and increasing in complexity by the day. You'll work on ambitious projects, and your contribution will significantly impact the success of Urban Jungle now and in the future
- A commitment to our values. Our values inform our policies, processes, decisions, and actions. They are core to how we operate as a business.
- 25 days paid leave (pro-rata), plus public holidays.
- All. The. Fun. We regularly organise awesome socials and have some vibrant team communities like book club, foodies, and sports.
About Our Commitment
Urban Jungle is an equal opportunity employer and fairness and respect are at the heart of who we are and how we work. We do not discriminate based on race, age, ethnicity, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or disability. We know that in order to build a truly successful business, we need a team of diverse individuals who can offer a variety of skills, experiences and perspectives.