About the Role
This is an exciting opportunity for an analytical and enthusiastic data scientist who is looking to accelerate their career in a fast paced and high growth tech scaleup. We're growing our data team and are hiring for our first data scientist to have an impact on how we do things at Urban Jungle in the future.
You’ll be working with product, engineering and commercial teams to build models that drive core business decisions such as eligibility or fraud detection.
In this role you will:
- Work in a constantly evolving environment with lots of opportunity to develop as the business grows.
- Work on models across a number of areas such as pricing, risk, and behavioral fraud detection.
- Collaborate closely with engineering, product & commercial teams to produce data products with clear business value.
- Work on and help shape our state of the art data platform, being an expert on data best practices.
- Build your commercial awareness as you work on projects with teams from across Urban Jungle.
- Join a fun and supportive team where your development and wellbeing matters.
What we’re looking for from you:
- 1+ years of experience in data science
- A problem solver who enjoys thinking creatively about data and how to use it to realise value.
- Passionate about building great data products and willing to get stuck in across the data lifecycle from data pipelining to model deployment.
- Experienced in some of the following (and has a willingness to learn the others):
* Python & data science ecosystem (pandas, sklearn, torch/tensorflow) * Stats & machine learning (A/B testing, model building & validation) * Data pipelining - SQL or code based (e.g. dbt & bigquery, spark & airflow)
- Easy to get on with and communicates well with technical and non-technical people.
- A self starter, who will not be afraid to challenge the status quo to get to a better outcome.
- Excited about the challenge of a start-up – especially getting to help shape the business from an early stage.
Urban Jungle is an inclusive employer and value diversity at our company. So long as you’ve got the skills for the job, even if you don’t fit these requirements exactly, we’d love to hear from you!
You can expect from us:
Urban Jungle is an amazing business to work in, with a super exciting and executable vision. Our team members are rewarded well with:
- A competitive salary depending on experience
- A material equity stake
- A company pension
- 25 days of paid leave, plus public holidays
- An annual personal development budget and training on whatever you need to do your job well
- A commitment from the co-founders to spend significant time on your coaching and development.
- Clear objectives, which are regularly updated, with regular formal feedback
- Whatever kit you need to be effective
- A commitment from the company to support your wellbeing for example with individual coaching sessions
- A cycle to work scheme
- Lots of social fun and events
- An open environment where you will be challenged
Urban Jungle is an exciting fintech scaleup that is making waves in a high growth consumer insurance space, on a mission to fix the way things are done in the industry and make customers’ lives better. Although we work in financial services, we are at heart a tech company, focused on building a customer-first brand that people can trust.
Our mission is to help millions of young people plan for their financial future - starting with providing a safety net for their home lives. We’re designing and building insurance products for a new generation of customers, challenging the status quo and changing the way things are done in insurance. We base all of our decisions and strategy around our 4 core values:
- Customer first
- Keep getting better
- Be responsible
- Aim for extraordinary
It’s an exciting time to join us as we’re growing fast! In the last year we hit 40,000 customers, launched several new products and doubled the team. We recently closed an £8m funding round - and we have big growth plans for the year ahead! This is a great opportunity to join a fast growing, data driven company and have a hand in shaping our futures.
Logistics & Application:
The position will be based at our offices in Oval, South London in the medium term. The hiring process involves an initial phone conversation, followed by a practical and CV interview with the senior team.
Sound exciting? Apply here.