Urban Jungle is here to change the insurance industry for good.
We’re one of the fastest-growing businesses in the UK, and we’re taking on one of the biggest and most outdated industries in the world. To keep doing that we need some amazing people to help us build the future of insurance, and we’d love you to join us on our journey.
Urban Jungle was born out of frustration with how badly insurance companies were at using technology, and how little they understood what customers really needed. The result was insurance that was too expensive, too inflexible and in many cases not fair to customers. Urban Jungle puts the customer at the heart of everything it does, uses the latest technology to make insurance simple, fair and affordable, and helps us give our customers much more confidence in their financial futures.
All of this has meant we’ve already been able to help over 100,000 customers get better insurance and become one of the top-rated home insurance providers in the UK, with 4.8 on Trustpilot from over 5,000 reviews. We’re currently focused on Home insurance, but we’re adding new products all of the time, and we’ve raised over £30m in funding to date to help us with our mission.
We also have a huge focus on people. We placed 1st in the TechRound100 2021, 12th in the Startups100 2021 and we won the “Best Employer Award” in the UK FinTech Awards 2021.
And the best bit? This is just the beginning.
About The Role
We’re looking for an experienced leader to head up our Operations team.
We want you to build and grow the most effective operations teams in Insurance. You’ll be taking over the leadership of the amazing team that’s already in place, helping them to maintain our efficiency and customer experience as we scale rapidly, and taking on new operational responsibilities as we grow the business.
In this role, you'll report to our Co-Founder and CTO, Greg Smyth.
Here’s what you’ll get up to:
- Lead the operations function for the business, working directly for one of the founders.
- Long-term planning and execution on how to run and structure the team.
- Be the escalation point for big/complex customer support cases.
- Build and scale our talent model – this role will have responsibility for one of the fastest-growing teams within the company.
- Ensure operational priorities are reflected within the senior team, and across the business.
- Delivering real change in a sector that matters, and helping lots and lots of customers.
You've read this far! Here's what we’re looking for from you:
- Lots of operational experience at a consumer-facing business. Ideally 7+ years.
- Experience hiring, managing & developing teams of 10+ people.
- Experience leading a function and making decisions, at both the strategic (e.g. third-party relationships) and tactical (e.g. individual customer issues) level.
- A confident communicator who can hold their own in a senior team discussion.
- Someone used to applying intellectual rigour to their thinking, and able to make their own arguments for change.
- Some experience in a regulated market would be great, but not necessary.
These requirements are a guide as to what we’re looking for, but if you don’t have all of the skills listed above, that’s okay! Please don’t let that hold you back from applying if the role excites you.
About Our Offer
We’re taking an office-centric approach to work (with lots of flexibility built-in) and the team is based in Oval, London.
In addition to our positive, open working environment, you can expect the following benefits of working at Urban Jungle:
- A competitive starting salary based on your skills and experience.
- A share of our successes. Every Urban Jungler receives share options that can increase alongside performance and growth.
- An impact from day one. Our business is scaling and increasing in complexity by the day. You'll work on ambitious projects, and your contribution will significantly impact the success of Urban Jungle now and in the future.
- Dedicated development. Continuous learning and growth are part of our DNA. You’ll have a dedicated senior mentor, training on whatever you need to do your job well and a dedicated personal development budget.
- Well-being support. We’re committed to supporting both physical and mental well-being through a variety of initiatives designed to help you feel your best.
- A commitment to our values. Our values inform our policies, processes, decisions and actions. They are core to how we operate as a business.
- 25 days paid leave, plus public holidays.
- All. The. Fun. We regularly organise awesome socials and have some vibrant team communities like book club, foodies, and sports.
About Our Commitment
Urban Jungle is an equal opportunity employer and fairness and respect are at the heart of who we are and how we work. We do not discriminate based on race, age, ethnicity, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or disability. We know that in order to build a truly successful business, we need a team of diverse individuals who can offer a variety of skills, experiences, and perspectives.
We accept applications from candidates requiring visa sponsorship.